Here are five great brainteasers taken from Brilliant Activities for Gifted and Talented Children to stretch the more able pupils in your primary school class and get their brain cells working.
- Two mothers and two daughters were quilting in the living room. They all quilted busily all day, and discussed memories they had shared with each other. Each one completed a quilt. However, at the end of the day there were only three completed quilts. How is this possible? (Answer: They were a grandmother, mother and a daughter)
- A man was sitting at home watching the news. All of a sudden, he stood up, switched on the light, and began to sob uncontrollably. Why did the man switch on the light and begin to cry? Ask as many questions as you would like, but the teacher can only answer yes or no. (Answer: The man is a lighthouse keeper, and he saw on the news that a ship is headed for his point but can see no light. It is inevitable that the ship will crash, which is the man’s fault.)
- Two Australians got on a bus. One of the Australians was the father of the other Australian’s son. How was this possible? (Answer: One was the mother)
- Robert and William Parry were both born just before noon on 7th May 2001. They had the same parents, Andrew and Diana Parry. You see Robert and William in the nursery and say to Diana, “Your twins are lovely!’ Diana looks at you and replies, “They are not twins!” You are very confused. They were born on exactly the same day with the same parents! How is this possible? (Answer: they are not twins, but triplets!)
- Two men walk into a restaurant. They both order exactly the same drink. One man drinks it fast and one man drinks it slowly. The one who drinks it fast lives. The one who drinks it slowly dies. WHY? (Answer: There was poison in the ice.)
These brainteasers have been taken from Brilliant Activities for Gifted and Talented Children by Ashley McCabe Mowat, which contains tasks that will develop all primary school children’s cognitive abilities, whilst stretching the more able pupils in you class.