The KS2 Programme of Study for foreign languages provides a skeleton outline of what needs to be taught at KS2. This is great if you are a language specialist Continue reading
Category Archives: Primary school
Free Grammar and Punctuation activities addressing the requirements of the English Programmes of Study for KS1 and KS2
A pupil who is well-spoken is not necessarily a pupil who can write well, not least because he/she might speak with perfect punctuation and grammar but have difficulty applying the same rules to his/her writing. Continue reading
…from a dictionary and a map, to a ruler that I snapped! Continue reading
This FREE PowerPoint introducing our new Learn Spanish with Luis y Sofía resource is a sentence builder activity to practise the Spanish verb ‘tener’. You can request your copy here.
Learn Spanish with Luis y Sofía, 1a Parte (Part 1) for Years 3–4, a Story-based Scheme for Teaching Spanish at KS2, contains:
- 1 copy each of the 14 storybooks written entirely in Spanish using simple sentences and introducing key vocabulary and language structures
- Buenos días
- Me llamo Sofía
- ¿Cuántas galletas?
- Tengo seis años
- Tengo un hermano
- Muchos caramelos
- Un caramelo rojo
- Tengo un gato
- A Luis le encantan las serpientes
- El domingo es mi cumpleaños
- Treinta y un invitados
- ¿Cuándo es tu cumpleaños?
- Me duele
- ¿Dónde está mi estuche?
- Audio-enhanced e-book versions of all the stories acted out by native Spanish speakers bringing the stories to life when shared with the class using an interactive whiteboard, read individually or in small groups.
- Vocabulary and sentence building activities for use on an IWB enable students to try out the language structures introduced in the stories
- Audio CD of stories acted out by native Spanish speakers, along with the vocabulary introduced and listening exercises to aid correct pronunciation
- A comprehensive, easy-to-use teacherʼs guide containing lesson plans based on the stories with ideas for developing all four language learning skills – reading, writing, speaking and listening
- Translations, vocabulary lists and grammar boxes are included to support the non-specialist.
- For more information, simply visit http://www.brilliantpublications.co.uk/book/learn-spanish-with-luis-y-sofia-1a-parte-starter-pack-years-34-758
Take advantage of these free activity materials
from the Reading Comprehension Series Pack:
With the Brilliant Activities for Reading Comprehension Pack for Years 1 to Years 6 you can support your pupils on the journey from decoding texts to comprehending and thinking critically about texts.
The specially written passages in the Reading Comprehension Pack provide children with a variety of engaging texts, ranging from newspaper articles and dialogues, to plays, stories, and poems.
Activities range from simple factual recall and vocabulary work to open-ended questions – enabling the reader to provide a more personal response. There are also detailed suggestions for integrating writing, speaking and other literacy tasks with the passages.
The texts and activities gradually increase in difficulty as your pupils progress through the book (and through the series), encouraging children to develop their ability to read for meaning and use a range of strategies to engage with the text.
You can order the Brilliant Activities for Reading Comprehension series for just £95 at https://www.brilliantpublications.co.uk/book/brilliant-activities-for-reading-comprehension-series-pack-2nd-edition-518.
I hope, if you are Welsh, that the headline caught your eye – especially if you are in one of the 22.7% of Welsh primary schools that teaches through the medium of Welsh.
At Brilliant Publications we realise that it is sometimes difficult to find resources to teach maths through the Welsh medium.
This is why we decided to translate our highly successful maths series, Maths Problem Solving, into Welsh. The Welsh books are linked to the Welsh National Curriculum, making it easy to integrate the activities into your planning.
The books contain differentiated worksheets, making it easy to use the book in a mixed-ability classroom.
The length of the problems are varied with short, medium and more extended problems for children to solve. The problems on each page are mixed so the children do not assume that the solution process is the same each time, but have to understand the problem. They are varied in their complexity and are presented in a meaningful, age-appropriate manner with topics the children will find relevant.
And for our Welsh readers…
Mae chwe llyfr yn y gyfres Datrys Problemau Mathemateg. Ysgrifennwyd y llyfrau i athrawon eu defnyddio mewn gwersi mathemateg. Anelir y cynnwys at ddatblygu sgiliau datrys problemau. Anogir plant i ddewis a defnyddio ffeithiau rhif a strategaethau meddwl perthnasol i ddatrys problem fel a nodir yn y Fframwaith Rhifedd Cenedlaethol.
Mae’r llyfr hwn wedi’i rannu’n dair pennod; Datblygu ymresymu rhifyddol, Datblygu ymresymu rhifyddol: Adnabod prosesau a chysylltiadau a Defnyddio sgiliau rhif.
Cynlluniwyd y llyfrau fel bod gan pob adran chwe cham o gwestiynau i’w hateb. Rhennir pob cam yn dair lefel, er enghraifft 1a, 1b neu 1c, yn seiliedig ar gyrhaeddiad. Mae pob cwestiwn cyfatebol o’r lefelau hyn yn dilyn yr un llinell o gwestiynu, felly pan mae’r athro yn siarad am gwestiwn penodol mae’r broses o ddatrys yr un fath i bob lefel ond mae’r cymhlethdod yn amrywio.