Flashcards are an excellent way of introducing primary school children to new French vocabulary. They are incredibly versatile and can be used in many different activities.
Furthermore, using flashcards promotes the use of the French as the meaning of the word will be obvious from the image, so there is no need to say the English equivalent.
While it is possible to make flashcards from images, either hand-drawn, cut out from magazines or found on-line, this is a time-consuming process.
To make your life easier, we have created packs of Mon Vocabulaire French flashcards. These time-saving resources are available as pdfs, so you can download and use them straight away.
Au Zoo – French flashcards and activities for At the zoo
À la ferme – French flashcards and activities for At the farm
La maison – French flashcards and activities for the House
Les animaux domestiques – French flashcards and activities for Pets
The flashcards are available in 2 sizes. The large colour images are ideal for display on an Interactive Whiteboard. The smaller colour pictures can be easily printed out and made into flashcards for use by individuals or small groups.
We have Mon Vocabulaire packs for many popular French topics:
- Les animaux domestiques
- Les fruits et les legumes
- Les forms géométriques
- La maison
- Les jours de la semaine
- Les mois de l’année
- Les parties du corps
- À la ferme
- Au zoo
- La Saint-Valentin
In addition, with each pack you get reproducible activity sheets to reinforce the vocabulary:
- Coloriez – Introduce new vocabulary
- Associez les mots – Match the French word to the corresponding illustration
- Illustrez les mots – Review vocabulary by drawing the image of the printed word
- Écoutez les mots – Listen to the new words as students mark the corresponding word that the teacher reads aloud
- Copiez les mots – Spell the new word by printing or writing
- Mots cachés – Find the hidden words in the puzzle then match the word to the corresponding image
- Décodez les motes – Match symbols to letter codes to decipher the word
- Le bon ordre – Unscramble the letters to form the correct word
- Mots croisés – Identify and spell the word for the corresponding image
- Mots illustrés – Create a unique word picture
- Le jeu – A two-player game that reinforces pronunciation and/or spelling of the new words
- Le livre – Produce an illustrated short-story about the theme.
Whichever words you choose, you will find this new collection of 1000 French words a great starting point.
My First 1000 French Words
My First 1000 French Words is a fantastic introduction to essential French vocabulary from animal words to types of food and members of the family.
Action-packed illustrations introduce your eager young language learners to essential words in French – plus a few fun ones. From having breakfast together to visiting the zoo or a fantastic art gallery to learn about colours and shapes, these characters will bring new words to life on the page and reinforce those words that you already know.
Each spread features a central scene teeming with details to discuss and discover. French vocabulary surrounds the main picture. Each French word appears along with an illustration to help reinforce learning, a helpful pronunciation guide and the English translation.
Or, to put it a different way « Diminution de la dépendance de Google traduit » (Note: actual Google translation of the blog title!)
Are you looking for a simple way of encouraging pupils to access the French vocabulary they need (without resorting to online translation packages)?
Mon Petit Vocabulaire – mini French word book
Sample page from Mon Petit Vocabulaire
Primary children need to be able to access vocabulary to encourage them to speak, listen and write in French. But when they are just beginning to learn French, even the simplest bilingual French-English dictionaries can be overwhelming. It is understandable that some students feel the temptation to go online.
If you find this is the case, we have a solution for you. We publish Mon Petit Vocabulaire – mini (A6) books containing French vocabulary sheets for 33 popular primary school topics. Each page features 9-10 illustrations labelled with their French names. The booklets are colourful, fun to use and support all French teaching schemes in use in primary schools.
Mon petit vocabulaire covers the following topics:
- Salutations (Greetings)
- Les nombres (Numbers 1 to 20)
- Les nombres 20 à 100 (Numbers 20 to 100)
- Les couleurs (Colours)
- L’alphabet français (The French Alphabet)
- Les jours de la semaine (Days of the Week)
- Les mois (Months of the Year)
- Les saisons (Seasons)
- Noël (Christmas)
- Les fruits (Fruits)
- Les légumes (Vegetables)
- Le restaurant (Restaurant)
- Un pique-nique (Picnic)
- Les boissons (Drinks)
- Le temps (Weather)
- Les vêtements (Clothes)
- Les accessoires (Accessories)
- Les parties du corps (Parts of the Body)
- Ma famille (My Family)
- Les animaux domestiques (Pets)
- Les petites bêtes (Insects and Mini-beasts)
- Les animaux sauvages (Wild Animals)
- Les animaux de la ferme (Farm Animals)
- Les animaux des bois (Woodland Animals)
- Le système solaire (The Solar System)
- Les objets de la classe (Classroom Objects)
- Les matières (School Subjects)
- Les sports – Je joue….. (Sports – I play…)
- Les sports – Je fais ….. (Sports – I do ….)
- Qu’est-ce que tu joues? Je joue … (Musical instruments – What do you play?)
- Les formes (Shapes)
- La France (Map of France)
- Les Français célèbres (Famous French People)
Mon Petit Vocabulaire is available from Brilliant Publications in handy packs of 10 mini-books.